"The 10 mile course uses sections of (closed) tarmac road along the seafront and coast, a section of the Promenade, woodland paths and trails within Worlebury Woods, and a little of the beach. In parts is it flat and fast; in others there are short climbs and long down hill sections."
The race was bigger than I had at first thought with 1250 entrants. I travelled down with a friend, Martin, and we met a few others that I knew whilst at the race. This included a friend Simon and his wife Sarah. Simon and I used to be very close surf buddies. There wasn't many a Sunday that went by without us heading down to the Devon/Cornwall coastline come what may surf-wise. It was great to see Simon at the race - Do all land-locked surfers turn to recreational running?
The race itself went pretty well. Despite feeling pretty fatigued from training going in to the race, I felt quite strong throughout the 10 miles.
I mostly walked the big hill up into the woods, and this tactic seemed to work well versus those who attempted to run the whole way. They made a bit on me on the ascent, but I very quickly caught-up and overtook once at the top.
The descent down the hill was a chance to let go, only in semi-control:
I finished in a time of 69 minutes which put me 97th out of 1070 who completed the course.
My average pace was 7:05/mile (8.45mph) which was OK.
Here's a picture towards the finish:
Back to the serious stuff now - plenty of training miles!
2 comments:
Hi Luke
Read your blog with interest...as I am also trying to prepare myself for the ONER. Thanks for putting your training programme up there - good to have something to compare to...have you done the ONER before?!!
Miles
Hi Miles,
No I've never done the ONER before. In fact I've only done one marathon, so this is very much a learning experience.
I found some really good links about training, nutrition, etc.
Checkout:
http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/
I hope your training is going well, and look forward to meeting you at the start line come August.
Cheers,
Luke
Post a Comment