Friday, 3 July 2009

Oooh, ER!

The second course recce, this time over the second half of the course, started with an early drive to Swanage, then bus to Wareham and finally a train to Weymouth.

Another nervous, on the bus picture:


The run started from the clock-tower in Weymouth:


After a short while things started to get hilly. However, my nutrition (Hammer Perpetuem) was working well and I felt strong.


The above picture (Bats Head) sums up the beautiful Dorset coastline.


More beautiful views at Durdle Door (pictured above) and then on to Lulworth Cove. Here I stopped to sort out a couple of spots on my heels that were beginning to get sore because my socks were too short. A combination of Compeed plasters and duct tape (which didn't stick terribly well) sorted the problem, and I was on my way.

However, my route from Lulworth Cove to Kimmeridge was majorly diverted inland due to the Army firing range being closed. I had to head to East Lulworth, then along a road that was open through the firing range, and finally back down to the coast path at Kimmeridge. The diversion added a bit of distance but was probably a more forgiving terrain.

I ran out of drink at about East Lulworth, but managed to find a pub where I filled my Camel Back (water not beer!).


The above is Chapman's Pool - A truly majestic scene.

The route after Kimmeridge had some major ups and downs. My legs still felt pretty strong, but it was very hot and I emptied my Camel Back of water quickly. Unfortunately, there was absolutely nowhere to get more water, so I just had to carry on regardless.

I was still reasonably well hydrated, but couldn't really eat anything else because I knew, without water, the food would stick in my stomach and make me feel nauseous. So I carried on more slowly, walking a lot more, and resigned myself that my day was pretty much up.

When I finally reached Swanage again, the thought of carrying on towards Studland Bay was not very palatable. So, I ate and dipped my feet into the sea before heading home tired but quite pleased with the day.


All in all I covered about 34 miles in 8hrs 20mins. I have had no ill effects, and feel surprisingly chipper today with no muscle soreness or fatigue.

There are 4 weeks to go until the ONER, so from now on I will taper slowly until the big day.

Not too long to go...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke,
I have just read your blog and things seem to be going well for you. I am flying over from Dubai for the event. Have never seen the hills on the south coast but looking at your photos this could be a really bad idea!
Look forward to seeing you on the 1st August.
Sara Connor

Luke Taylor said...

Hi Sara,

Glad my blog has been of some use.

Whilst you may not be looking forward to the hills, it's been pretty hot here this Summer, so you should be well acclimatised.

I look forward to meeting you on the big day.

Luke

Anonymous said...

Good luck Luke. Will be thinking of you - Grannie Annie

Luke Taylor said...

Thanks Mum.

Feeling nervous and excited, but can't wait to get started too.

Luke