Positives:
- My previous longest run was 24 miles in 5 hours. Completing 38 miles in 9 3/4 hours is a big step in terms of miles and time on my feet (both important)
- I have no significant bad physical outcomes - a bit stiff if I sit for a long time, but no tendon or muscle injuries
- I handled the uphill parts of the course pretty well
- I learnt a lot about navigating the course, especially some of the route I will be covering in the dark, so hopefully no surprises
- I learnt more about nutrition on really long runs
- I have completed an ultra distance (50Km is the recognised starting distance for ultras, I completed 60Km)
- I hope (expect) that when I do the ER (2nd half of the course) I should handle the distance a bit easier
- I felt completely exhausted and my feet, legs and knees all hurt at the end. Although, this didn't last long, and by the time I got home, the residual hurt was fairly minor
- I'm not sure where the next 40 miles is going to come from (I felt pretty spent)
- The 1st half of the course was I think a lot easier than the hillier 2nd half will be
- I need to work on my quad strength as some of the steeper downhills were becoming quite difficult
- I'm a bit worried about navigating Portland in the dark, the route is quite complex and changes from coast path to footpath to road quite often
The day began at 04:00am, after a broken night's sleep (thanks to Felix). I drove to Weymouth and got the 06:15am bus to Lyme Regis.
Here I'm looking nervous on the bus ride:
At Lyme Regis I bought a coffee, and then struggled to find the start of the coast path which, once I had found it, immediately turned into the first of two diversions on route due to landslides.
Having got onto the coast path proper, things started to get pretty hilly, the climax being Golden Cap (shrouded in cloud):
After Golden Cap it was still quite hilly for a while, with lovely views, but flattened-off at about Burton Bradstock.
Everything was still going well as I swanned-around (sic) Abbotsbury:

After Abbotsbury, there was a long flat section alongside Chesil Beach, leading towards Moonfleet Manor, and then on to Ferrybridge (between Weymouth and Portland). There were a few sections here where prior knowledge of the course should hopefully help me during the race.
Somewhere after Moonfleet Manor I ran out of anything to drink which was a bit worrying, however around East Fleet I came across a campsite where I could refill my Camelback.
At East Fleet I reached the marathon point at 6hrs 30mins.
From East Fleet to Ferrybridge, I first began to feel quite fatigued. So before making my way out to Portland, I found a cafe and bought a Strawberry Split ice cream and a bottle of Coke. After wolfing these down I felt a lot better and continued on to Portland.
The trip around Portland was fairly demoralising - a dusty island mostly populated with quarries and a prison - I will be pleased that this section will be dark during the race.
Navigating around Portland was also difficult, and I was really starting to feel tired. However, having got back to the causway, I ran reasonably well back to Ferrybridge.
The journey from Ferrybridge back to Weymouth bay was another matter - I think I'd run low on nutrition, and this being combined with the last leg being 2.5 miles rather than the 0.5 miles I was expecting, made the going very hard.
Finally I made it back to Weymouth and dipped my sore feet into the lovely cool sea:

My nutrition for the day was:
- Approx. 1.5ltrs water with 3 x Nuun tablets
- 4 x Crunchy Granola bars
- Lunch of 1 x Marmite sandwich, 1 x Peanut butter and jam
- 1 x Strawberry Split, 1 x Coke (330ml)
Even though I feel pretty good, I've decided to rest for the next 3 days to give my endocrine system a chance to recover. Back to training on Monday.
2 comments:
Hi Luke,
Training sounds like it is going well. I liked your idea to run half of the race - particularly the bits you will do in the dark. I had a friend do the inaugral Oner in 2007, and he got lost for an hour or so - how demoralising would that be?!
I have run the section from Osmington to Lulworth - there are some steep cliffs there, but it was marginally easier going west to east (I went both ways).
I have had to bow out of the Oner 2009 with much regret...dogged by injury and a bad clash of dates. Really frustrating after months of getting ready. But, a better level of fitness to prepare for some ultras in 2010....
Hope the Oner goes well for you...will read your site with a lot of interest to see how you survive!!
Best wishes
Miles
Hi Miles,
Yes training seems to be going quite well. I seem to be able to soak-up more volume now than I could earlier in the year. The trouble I find is managing to regularly get time for longer runs. But I can't complain.
I'm hoping to do the 2nd half of the course at the beginning of July, then taper until the race.
I'm really sorry to hear that you cannot make the ONER this year, but glad to see you are already thinking ahead to possibilities in 2010.
All the best,
Luke
Post a Comment