Sunday, 5 April 2009

A historic training session...

I had an opportunity today to train both when and where I liked. Suzi had taken the children to Dorset to visit her Mother. I would have gone too, but I've been getting a bit run down by Felix's terrible sleep, so I stayed at home to do some DIY jobs, sleep and go for a good long run.

I decided to use this opportunity to train away from my normal trails around Bristol. And much as I don't normally reminisce, today's training session was a trip down memory lane for me.

In the morning, I got a bus from Bristol to Churchill in Somerset. Even the bus ride reminded me of a bus journey back from Bristol to Hill Farm, where I used to live, with a girl friend, after a good day's ice skating.

From Churchill, I ran (well actually mostly walked) up to Rowberrow Warren, and then on up to the top of Beacon Batch, Somerset's highest point - 1066ft above sea level. Here, I had previously been on School walks and youth club camps, and in my teens I could even be found tearing around this area on a motorbike.




From Beacon Batch I headed over to Cheddar - Somewhere I sailed (a bit) previously on the resovoir. I even had a few piano lessons in Cheddar when I was about 7 or 8 years old.

From Cheddar I run-walked over to Shute Shelve hill, and then up through Kings Wood, past Hill Farm, where I used to live, and along to Crooks Peak.

I lived at Hill Farm from about 1972 until around 1982. During most of my time there, I was always out on the hill - playing in the woods, riding bikes, hiding in the bracken, riding horses with my Mother - I have many fond memories of that time.

From Crooks Peak, I descended down to Barton, then on to Loxton and Christon, and over a hill and along a Roman road to Uphill.

I finished my run by running along the beach at Weston-Super-Mare.


All in all, I run-walked for 4hrs 30mins, which was 30mins longer than last week, although the same mileage - 22 miles. The extra 30 mins was accounted for by the very hilly route. At least as hilly as I expect the ONER course to be.

A good day out.

No comments: